#SMWTO: The 10 Best Quotes To Live By In Social Media [Creating Wildfires Panel]
The week of February 13th was Social Media Week in Toronto and what a week! Social Media Week is one of the world’s most unique global program, offering a series of activities and conversations around the globe on emerging trends in social and mobile media across all major industry sectors. In its third year, Social Media Week has expanded to 21 cities including Toronto! I attended and volunteered in Toronto. We had over 100 events across the city – talking social media to our heart’s content. I would like to take the opportunity to share key messages from three of the events.
This post is the first of three:
The Best 10 Quotes To Live by In Social Media: From The Creating WildFires Panel
1. “Building a community is not the equivalent as building a customer base”.
- Building a community is a network and is long-term. A customer base is a group of potential buyers.
2. “Online is real life.”
- Your messages are published and broadcasted- this needs to be understood.
3. “Whenever you are righteous, you are wrong!”
4. “Negative feedback is great for brands – it is an opportunity to turn detractors into fans”
- People who criticize are passionate- you can redirect that energy around to create a brand evangelist.
5. “What’s the value of an influence score, if you don’t have a relationship?”
- Numbers do not replace the relationship
- Not every influencer is a match to what you are doing ;you have to have a win-win scenario.
6. “When dealing with bad tweets a simple “Thank You” is the best response.”
- Thank- yous diffuses any kind of ill-intent.
7. “Corporations don’t own their brand anymore -it belongs to the people now!”
- Today people tend to believe the experience of their friends rather than the associated corporation.
8. “The Internet destroyed “location location location”~ it is now ”solution solution solution.”"
9. “The future of social media will be where local businesses will learn to reclaim their local business”
- Mobile is allowing people to get their geographic niche back
10. “Social business is about culture ~ social media is the tool.”
Words of wisdom from a very dynamic and passionate panel. So think globally, act locally but don’t panic. Enjoy the ride. We live in exciting times!
Thanks for visiting!
Cartoon used with the permission of the Cartoonist
- Social Media Week Returns to Toronto for the Third Year (socialmediaportal.com)
- Social Media Week 2012 (beingyourbrand.wordpress.com)
- Share it! Social Media Week at MaRS (marsdd.com)
- 5 Tips for Marketers from Social Media Week 2012 (advertising.yahoo.com)